One of the key benefits of working with Chapmans is our use of Boron steel
What is Boron steel?
- Boron Steel is steel that has had minute levels of the interstitial element Boron added to it, cost effectively improving its hardenability and increasing its strength.
- Boron Steel can be hot worked and direct quenched, allowing it to be formed into different shapes and sizes for different applications.
- Key to its adoption in the agricultural industry is its excellent wear properties which provide tangible benefits for the farmers.
- Extremely Durable
- Flexible Sizing
- Sourced from Europe
Pre-hardened steel – the inferior alternative
- Risk of fracture during cold forming.
- Difficult to form in thicker sections.
- Longer machining times due to its original hardness value.
- Offers a compromise in terms of hardness level – not the ultimate for durability.
- Processing such as laser cutting softens the material, particularly in the area around any fixing holes.
- High material cost with expensive process waste.
- Difficult To Form
- Risk Of Fracture
- Often Requires Expensive Fabrication